"Nowicki was seeking first of all not for a unique structure but for a unique space. The remarkable warping of the space upward, the exact reverse of a dome, would guarantee maximum daylight admitted from the two sides to the central arena. This labile kind of curvature of enclosed space marks a new epoch in architecture [Parabolic Pavilion 1952]." Paul Rudolph in Architectural Forum; The great Livestock Pavilion complete, 1954
Durham derives its strength and its appeal from the diversity of its citizens. Individuals of all backgrounds are welcome making Durham a truly inclusive metropolitan community. Strong graphic content of these large-scale banners emphasize individuality within a greater context of inclusion while the simple message is understandable from a great distance and will remain even as the colors eventually fade with age.
Construction of the new Carolina Family Dental Center is complete!
When the Carolina Family Dental Center outgrew its pre-manufactured building, they sought a more welcoming, efficient environment for patients and staff. This economical design provides natural light, a pleasant atmosphere, and the space and technology to meet the needs of its surrounding community.
The center accommodates four dentists with fifteen operatories and a sterilization room. Using building-information modeling, we were able to provide plans that allowed the client to pre-visualize the proposed spaces, as well as the building exterior.
Throughout construction, the clinic was able to maintain uninterrupted operations in their existing facility while new construction took place on the existing site. This design includes a low-maintenance metal roof and the installation of a full new vacuum system.
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
“The sun is setting in a burnt orange sky; the cliffs are black silhouettes; the sea, liquid silver.”
Laura Treacy Bentley
Yesterday we met with Johannes and Markus Albl, 14th generation woodcarvers from Oberammergau, Germany. Absolutely amazing work! Can you imagine your family's business dating back to 1556? See more about them HERE.
One consequence of Glasgow’s extraordinary growth in the late 19th century was a wave of new church building undertaken to meet the needs of an expanding population – Queen’s Cross accommodated a congregation of 820!
In 1896, the Free Church of St Matthew, Glasgow, commissioned a new church and hall from the experienced Glasgow architectural practice of Honeyman & Keppie, to be located in the developing area of Springbank, near Maryhill. John Honeyman allocated the job to his young, talented, trainee architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The site was a tricky one, being bounded on two sides by busy roads, and butted by tenements and a large warehouse. In keeping with their beliefs, the Free Church required simplicity in design. The foundation stone was laid on 23 June 1898 and the building opened for worship on 10 September 1899.
The construction of Queen’s Cross was contemporary with the first phase of Mackintosh’s masterpiece, The Glasgow School of Art (1897–9). It reveals a sophisticated handling of form, ornament and symbolic meaning, even at this relatively early date. Dr Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh’s first biographer, wrote of the church, ‘the building possesses a warmth and charm conspicuously absent from many churches of the period due largely to the traditional simplicity of Mackintosh’s architectural forms and to the mysticism and spirituality of his decorative motives.’
In 1929 the Free Church was reunited with the Church of Scotland which assumed ownership of Queen’s Cross. In 1976, following a decline in numbers, the congregation merged with that of nearby Ruchill Church and vacated the building. The following year, the newly-formed Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society took on the building as its headquarters and has cared for it ever since. In 1999 a generous gift from Dr Howarth enabled the Society to purchase the church. A key mission of the Society is to continue to care for and share this wonderful building with as wide a public as possible.
From CRM Society
Saint John the Baptist Church, Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare, Ireland
"The whole difference between construction and creation is exactly this: that a thing constructed can only be loved after it is constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists."
Charles Rennie Mackintosch's masterpiece, "...the only art school in the world where the building is worthy of the subject...this is a work of art in which to make works of art." Sir Christopher Frayling, Educator and Writer.
Student learning styles vary. As architects, we must provide a variety of spacial experiences that allow and foster different learning modalities. We look for opportunities to create environments that nurture diversity. In a school, we may provide space for linguistic and logical learning as part of the prescribed program, but spaces for visual, aural, physical, social, and solitary learning are also critical to students’ comprehensive education. Sometimes, these spaces can be incorporated in underutilized design areas, such as a gathering space next to a corridor, an exterior courtyard, or a seating area adjacent to a stair. Not only is it our job to meet an Owner’s expectations, but we must also provide flexible design solutions to meet needs they may not have considered.
The restoration of the W.H. Matthews mausoleum at Mount Hope Cemetery in Raleigh, NC is nearing completion. W.H. Matthews was a mason and contractor who lived in Raleigh. Believed to have been designed by his son W.J. Matthews of Chicago, his mausoleum is one of the more significant monuments in the cemetery. Built from a variety of stones collected by Mr. Matthews from his work across North Carolina, it features a barrel vaulted roof and cast iron door.
Mount Hope was founded in 1872 as a city-owned African-American cemetery, among the first of its kind in North Carolina.
"A peculiar feature of the funeral of William Matthews...was the fact that the body was encased in a coffin of glass, the entire form being in plain view." © News & Observer 6/24/1902
"His life was a lesson of industry and thrift. Having labored and earned money with which he purchased his freedom before the war, he prized the same so highly that he always tried to live a life free from blemish."© News & Observer 6/19/1902
We were proud to sponsor and attend this year's Association for Learning Environments-A4LE Annual NC Chapter Conference in Wrightsville Beach The focus; Innovate, Collaborate & Rejuvenate played out in many ways and we all had a great time!
We are proud to be part of this project which will serve the people of Southeastern North Carolina.
This is probably one of the most important things I learned at the School of Design. In 1983, I was fortunate to have Vernon Shogren for architectural design studio at NC State. He taught us that we are all biased. We are biased by our background, our values, our skills and our abilities. We tend to focus on only one of the attributes of a design listed in the diagram above to the exclusion of others. In order to create a good building we need to consider the importance of ALL of these attributes.