Andrew Goodman House in Raleigh, NC (circa 1903)
Alicia Kirwan, AIA designed these custom sinks which were recently installed in all public restrooms at the NC Museum of Art in Raleigh, North Carolina. The building opened in 2010 and was designed by Thomas Phifer and Partners of New York with the local architect being Pierce Brinkley Cease + Lee from Raleigh.
The restoration of the W.H. Matthews mausoleum at Mount Hope Cemetery in Raleigh, NC is nearing completion. W.H. Matthews was a mason and contractor who lived in Raleigh. Believed to have been designed by his son W.J. Matthews of Chicago, his mausoleum is one of the more significant monuments in the cemetery. Built from a variety of stones collected by Mr. Matthews from his work across North Carolina, it features a barrel vaulted roof and cast iron door.
Mount Hope was founded in 1872 as a city-owned African-American cemetery, among the first of its kind in North Carolina.
"A peculiar feature of the funeral of William Matthews...was the fact that the body was encased in a coffin of glass, the entire form being in plain view." © News & Observer 6/24/1902
"His life was a lesson of industry and thrift. Having labored and earned money with which he purchased his freedom before the war, he prized the same so highly that he always tried to live a life free from blemish."© News & Observer 6/19/1902
Hayes Barton United Methodist Church’s new addition, The Well, has won an Award of Merit in the Cultural/Worship category from Engineering News-Record Southeast’s 2017 Best Projects competition.Read More
The Well (Thomas Sayre's sculptural space) at Hayes Barton United Methodist Church is coming along nicely. It won't be too long until it's finished!
You can help the National Trust for Historic Preservation raise awareness for Historic Preservation HERE. On a sadder note, The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sava - Саборнa црквa Светог Саве in Manhattan burned down yesterday. HERE is a link to their website where you can see the terrible damage and donate to help them rebuild. It was an amazing building filled with beautiful artwork and this devastating fire is a tremendous loss for those who love church architecture.
Here's some of the history of this wonderful Gothic revival building from the Cathedral of Saint Sava's website:
"The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava, formerly known as Trinity Chapel, (Trinity church on Downtown, Wall Street) was purchased from the Episcopal Diocese in New York in 1943 and consecrated in 1944. Trinity Chapel, built to serve the “uptown” Episcopal community and designed in 1850 by celebrated architect Richard M. Upjohn in the Gothic Revival style, was consecrated by Trinity Church (Wall Street) in 1855.
Trinity Chapel was an active Episcopal Church community for a number of decades until 1915, when the area became commercial and parishioners began to relocate farther north. In 1942, the Trinity Corporation opted to sell Trinity Chapel, the Parish Hall, designed by J. Wrey Mould as Trinity Chapel School, and adjoining rectory. It should be noted that an extraordinary event took place at Trinity Chapel in 1865, when for the very first time an Orthodox liturgy was held in an Episcopal church in America – an event the New York Times referred to as an “un-usual historic happening,” the “Inauguration of the Russian-Greek Church in America.” Celebrated American writer Edith Wharton (Jones) married socialite Edward Wharton in 1885 in Trinity Chapel; she was later to immortalize the church in her famous novel of Victorian New York, The Age of Innocence."
Here are some photos of Christ Church in Raleigh designed by Richard M. Upjohn's father Richard Upjohn. Brad Farlow was the architect for this renovation in 2001.