Andrew Goodman House in Raleigh, NC (circa 1903)
Alicia Kirwan, AIA designed these custom sinks which were recently installed in all public restrooms at the NC Museum of Art in Raleigh, North Carolina. The building opened in 2010 and was designed by Thomas Phifer and Partners of New York with the local architect being Pierce Brinkley Cease + Lee from Raleigh.
The interior of this collegiate gothic building did not reflect its exterior appearance. Interior corridor ceilings are covered in conduit, mechanical systems and data runs. The front entry doors were not in character with the building, nor did they meet current egress requirements. We worked with the University and the Departments of Astronomy, Mathematics and Physics on improvements to the entry experience. We designed new front doors and interior designs were studied for various ways to mitigate the appearance of conduit and mechanical systems. New lighting and finishes highlight the departments and minimize the distractions from equipment that cannot be moved. The welcoming space accomodates the waves of student traffic that utilize the area between classes.
We are very saddened to hear about BB&T’s plans to tear down their previous corporate headquarters designed by our founder B. Atwood Skinner. We think it’s a huge loss for mid-century modernism in North Carolina. It is as important to preserve our more recent heritage as it is to preserve that from the more distant past.
"The new building was completed in 1860. Its high elevation, tall windows, tower, and steeple make it a graceful church building. Captain Berry's use of white trim against red brick gives it a Georgian quality and definitely relates it to the old courthouse. The louvered shutters, galley, original pews, and antique pulpit with fluted columns give interest to the interior of the church. The original building (sanctuary/narthex/balcony/basement) designed by Captain Berry remains intact. When the church was built, the floor slanted down toward the pulpit. A large stove was located at the back of the church. There was another stove where the organ is now located. The pews and pulpit date back to this time.
A local legend tells that during the Civil War, when the Confederates found that they needed more cannons to hold their lines, they asked the church to donate the bell to be melted and added to their cannon supply. The church declined the proposition."
From Hillsborough United Methodist Church's Website. Read more Here.
The restoration of the W.H. Matthews mausoleum at Mount Hope Cemetery in Raleigh, NC is nearing completion. W.H. Matthews was a mason and contractor who lived in Raleigh. Believed to have been designed by his son W.J. Matthews of Chicago, his mausoleum is one of the more significant monuments in the cemetery. Built from a variety of stones collected by Mr. Matthews from his work across North Carolina, it features a barrel vaulted roof and cast iron door.
Mount Hope was founded in 1872 as a city-owned African-American cemetery, among the first of its kind in North Carolina.
"A peculiar feature of the funeral of William Matthews...was the fact that the body was encased in a coffin of glass, the entire form being in plain view." © News & Observer 6/24/1902
"His life was a lesson of industry and thrift. Having labored and earned money with which he purchased his freedom before the war, he prized the same so highly that he always tried to live a life free from blemish."© News & Observer 6/19/1902
I finally made it over to Duke Chapel to take some new photos of the baptismal font I designed when working at Eason & Farlow Design. The Gothic style font is carved from quarter-sawn white oak and features a hand hammered sterling silver basin with an overlaid cross pattern. Duke Chapel had never had a baptismal font until this was commissioned in the early 2000s. Our goal was for it to appear as if it had always been there, fitting in perfectly with Julian Abele's 1932 masterpiece.
The renovation of the historic 1924 Whitley Auditorium at Elon University provides a much-used recital space for the Music Department as well as a multi-purpose space that is used for lectures, classes, as well as weekly church services. The auditorium was renovated, new classical columns and scrolled brackets to support the balconies were added to cover existing steel columns, acoustical improvements were initiated, new handicapped accessible restroom facilities were carefully fit below the existing stairways, the lobby was extended and improved for better traffic flow and a more welcoming atmosphere, and refurbished vintage auditorium seating was installed. A new state of the art HVAC system was designed to provide quiet temperature and humidity control for concert patrons and to maintain the tuning of the new Casavant Frères pipe organ.
Brad Farlow, Architect-of-Record (Eason & Farlow Design, PA)
We designed this Gothic Revival wooden fence to conceal mechanical equipment at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Wilson.
You can help the National Trust for Historic Preservation raise awareness for Historic Preservation HERE. On a sadder note, The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sava - Саборнa црквa Светог Саве in Manhattan burned down yesterday. HERE is a link to their website where you can see the terrible damage and donate to help them rebuild. It was an amazing building filled with beautiful artwork and this devastating fire is a tremendous loss for those who love church architecture.
Here's some of the history of this wonderful Gothic revival building from the Cathedral of Saint Sava's website:
"The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava, formerly known as Trinity Chapel, (Trinity church on Downtown, Wall Street) was purchased from the Episcopal Diocese in New York in 1943 and consecrated in 1944. Trinity Chapel, built to serve the “uptown” Episcopal community and designed in 1850 by celebrated architect Richard M. Upjohn in the Gothic Revival style, was consecrated by Trinity Church (Wall Street) in 1855.
Trinity Chapel was an active Episcopal Church community for a number of decades until 1915, when the area became commercial and parishioners began to relocate farther north. In 1942, the Trinity Corporation opted to sell Trinity Chapel, the Parish Hall, designed by J. Wrey Mould as Trinity Chapel School, and adjoining rectory. It should be noted that an extraordinary event took place at Trinity Chapel in 1865, when for the very first time an Orthodox liturgy was held in an Episcopal church in America – an event the New York Times referred to as an “un-usual historic happening,” the “Inauguration of the Russian-Greek Church in America.” Celebrated American writer Edith Wharton (Jones) married socialite Edward Wharton in 1885 in Trinity Chapel; she was later to immortalize the church in her famous novel of Victorian New York, The Age of Innocence."
Here are some photos of Christ Church in Raleigh designed by Richard M. Upjohn's father Richard Upjohn. Brad Farlow was the architect for this renovation in 2001.