Alicia Kirwan, AIA designed these custom sinks which were recently installed in all public restrooms at the NC Museum of Art in Raleigh, North Carolina. The building opened in 2010 and was designed by Thomas Phifer and Partners of New York with the local architect being Pierce Brinkley Cease + Lee from Raleigh.
"The new building was completed in 1860. Its high elevation, tall windows, tower, and steeple make it a graceful church building. Captain Berry's use of white trim against red brick gives it a Georgian quality and definitely relates it to the old courthouse. The louvered shutters, galley, original pews, and antique pulpit with fluted columns give interest to the interior of the church. The original building (sanctuary/narthex/balcony/basement) designed by Captain Berry remains intact. When the church was built, the floor slanted down toward the pulpit. A large stove was located at the back of the church. There was another stove where the organ is now located. The pews and pulpit date back to this time.
A local legend tells that during the Civil War, when the Confederates found that they needed more cannons to hold their lines, they asked the church to donate the bell to be melted and added to their cannon supply. The church declined the proposition."
From Hillsborough United Methodist Church's Website. Read more Here.
Construction of the new Carolina Family Dental Center is complete!
When the Carolina Family Dental Center outgrew its pre-manufactured building, they sought a more welcoming, efficient environment for patients and staff. This economical design provides natural light, a pleasant atmosphere, and the space and technology to meet the needs of its surrounding community.
The center accommodates four dentists with fifteen operatories and a sterilization room. Using building-information modeling, we were able to provide plans that allowed the client to pre-visualize the proposed spaces, as well as the building exterior.
Throughout construction, the clinic was able to maintain uninterrupted operations in their existing facility while new construction took place on the existing site. This design includes a low-maintenance metal roof and the installation of a full new vacuum system.
The restoration of the W.H. Matthews mausoleum at Mount Hope Cemetery in Raleigh, NC is nearing completion. W.H. Matthews was a mason and contractor who lived in Raleigh. Believed to have been designed by his son W.J. Matthews of Chicago, his mausoleum is one of the more significant monuments in the cemetery. Built from a variety of stones collected by Mr. Matthews from his work across North Carolina, it features a barrel vaulted roof and cast iron door.
Mount Hope was founded in 1872 as a city-owned African-American cemetery, among the first of its kind in North Carolina.
"A peculiar feature of the funeral of William Matthews...was the fact that the body was encased in a coffin of glass, the entire form being in plain view." © News & Observer 6/24/1902
"His life was a lesson of industry and thrift. Having labored and earned money with which he purchased his freedom before the war, he prized the same so highly that he always tried to live a life free from blemish."© News & Observer 6/19/1902
The exterior restoration of St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Wilson in now complete. The work included repointing and cleaning the brick, replacing the concrete parapet with new cast stone, a new slate roof with copper flashing, gutters and downspouts. and a new cast stone cross above the main entry featuring the symbol for St. Timothy.
Hayes Barton United Methodist Church’s new addition, The Well, has won an Award of Merit in the Cultural/Worship category from Engineering News-Record Southeast’s 2017 Best Projects competition.Read More
The Well (Thomas Sayre's sculptural space) at Hayes Barton United Methodist Church is coming along nicely. It won't be too long until it's finished!
We have consolidated our offices to our Raleigh location at 301 Glenwood Avenue! Since opening our Raleigh office in 2007 we have worked very closely with everyone in our Wilson office. Now that we are all under one roof, we are enjoying the face to face collaboration and comradery. We anticipate the consolidation will allow us to serve our clients even better than before!
Please note we have a new phone number.
301 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 270 Raleigh, NC 27603 T 984-222-0572 F 919-863-9980
Here are some new photos of Southeastern Health's newly-renovated, 10,000 sf space for Medical Education. Located on the 4th floor of the administrative wing in the medical center, the space is the education hub for Southeastern Health. Offering student lockers, a 100-seat classroom, a small classroom, an electronic medical library, a resident/student lounge and meeting room, as well as administrative offices for the Medical Education department. This space is being used in a partnership between Southeastern Health and Campbell University. Click HERE and HERE to learn more. The education wing was made possible through grants from The Duke Endowment, The Golden LEAF Foundation, North Carolina Department of Commerce, and The Cannon Foundation.